Since the development of agriculture thousands of years ago, yearly crops have been essential for human survival. Farming may be better now, and more technically advanced than ever before, but it is still something of an art and science.
Field Crop Information
As defined by the U.S. Congress, sustainable agriculture is “an integrated system of plant and animal production practices having a site-specific application that will over the long term:
- satisfy human food and fiber needs;
- enhance environmental quality and the natural resource base upon which the agricultural economy depends;
- make the most efficient use of nonrenewable resources and on-farm resources and integrate, where appropriate, natural biological cycles and controls;
- sustain the economic viability of farm operations; and
- enhance the quality of life for farmers and society as a whole.”